The Do’s and Don’ts of Holiday Lighting
With all the excitement that comes with the holidays, it’s easy to go overboard with the decorations. Spend less time searching for burned out bulbs and more time admiring your display this year by following these simple tips:
- When hanging lights in hard-to-reach places, make sure your ladder is sturdy, on level ground, and locked into place.
- Recruit a partner to help you.
- Inspect the strings for exposed copper, broken bulbs, corroded sockets, and fraying.
- When hanging lights outside, make sure that they are rated for outdoor usage.
- Use surge protectors and heavy-duty extension cords.
- Replace burnt out bulbs as soon as possible.
- Buy extra strings, especially if you prefer LED.
- When the holiday fun is over, take down your lights and store them properly.
- Don’t throw out the replacement bulbs that come with each strand.
- Don’t overwhelm your circuit breaker.
- Don’t connect more than 5-6 strings of lights together.
- Don’t pull on wires to connect them or plug them in.
- Don’t connect incandescent and LED lines together.
- Don’t forget to turn your lights off overnight and while you’re away.
Remember, ALWAYS read the instructions and take care when working with electricity. If you have any questions about your lights, your extension cords, or your breakers, don’t hesitate to give us a call! We want you to have the best-looking house on the block this holiday season.
Happy Holidays from your friends at Milton Electric!