Mastering the Art of Holiday Lighting: Essential Do's and Don'ts for a Stunning Display
With all the excitement that comes with the holidays, it’s easy to go overboard with the decorations. Spend less time searching for burned-out bulbs and more time admiring your display this year by following these simple holiday lighting tips:
- When hanging lights in hard-to-reach places, make sure your ladder is sturdy, on level ground, and locked into place.
- Work with a partner.
- Inspect the strings for exposed copper, broken bulbs, corroded sockets, and fraying.
- When hanging lights outside, make sure that they are rated for outdoor usage. Ensure your outdoor lights are grounded and plug them into a GFCI outlet.
- Use surge protectors and heavy-duty extension cords.
- Replace burnt-out bulbs as soon as possible.
- Buy extra strings, especially if you prefer LED, which are more beneficial compared to incandescent lights. LED Christmas lights are more energy- efficient, durable, and safe.
- When the holiday fun is over, take down your lights and store them properly.
- Don’t throw out the replacement bulbs that come with each strand.
- Don’t mix or combine indoor and outdoor lights
- Don’t overwhelm your circuit breaker.
- Don’t connect more than 5-6 strings of lights together. To be safe, look for the UL note on the lighting box. It should indicate the number of lights that can be safely strung together.
- Don’t pull on wires to connect them or plug them in.
- Don’t connect incandescent and LED lines together.
- Don’t forget to turn your holiday lights off overnight and while you’re away.
Remember, ALWAYS read the instructions and take care when working with electricity. If you have any questions about your lights, your extension cords, or your breakers, don’t hesitate to give us a call! We want you to have the best-looking house on the block this holiday season.
Happy Holidays from your friends at Milton Electric!
At Milton Electric, we have the skills to handle various electrical tasks, from installing ceiling fans to wiring new homes. With our expertise and years of experience, we are committed to delivering top-notch electrical services that meet your needs and exceed your expectations. Trust us to get the job done right.