Some of us still haven’t recovered from July’s heatwave – our bodies or our pockets. Many people are seeing high electric bills this time of year because, in extreme heat, our air systems are working hard and using a great deal of energy to maintain the desired inside temperature.
While the kids are still home from school, consider these tips to lower energy usage during peak hours:
- Unplug electronics when they’re not in use.
- Replace your bulbs with high-efficiency lighting.
- Wash clothes in cold water. (90% of the energy used for the washer goes to heating the water!)
- Only run your dishwasher when it’s fully loaded and run during non-peak hours.
- Install a programmable thermostat to set temperature schedules throughout the day.
We’re not in the clear yet from scorching temperatures, so consider implementing these tips to lower cooling costs:
- Use a fan. Ceiling fans will allow you to raise the thermostat setting by about 4 degrees without impacting your comfort.
- Don’t heat your home with appliances. On hot days, consider using an outdoor grill instead of your oven.
- Use the bathroom fan when taking a shower. This helps remove heat and humidity.
- Replace your air conditioner’s filter every month. That will help your unit run more efficiently.
As you implement these tips, you should see your electric bill drop. If you’d like further advice or need help implementing changes such as installing ceiling fans, upgrading to energy-efficient lighting, or adding dedicated circuits for your appliances, give us a call at 410-276-3420. We’re happy to help!
*Summer rates are billed for usage from June 1 through September 30.
At Milton Electric, we have the skills to handle various electrical tasks, from installing ceiling fans to wiring new homes. With our expertise and years of experience, we are committed to delivering top-notch electrical services that meet your needs and exceed your expectations. Trust us to get the job done right.